Aluminum printed circuit boards are also known as metal base PCBs, and are comprised of metal-based laminates covered by copper foil circuit layers. They are made of alloy plates that are a combination of aluminum, magnesium and silumin (Al-Mg-Si). Aluminum PCBs deliver excellent electrical insulation, good thermal potential, and high machining performance, and they differ from other PCBs in several important ways.
- The base layer consists of an aluminum alloy substrate. The use of aluminum makes this type of PCB an excellent choice for through-hole technology.
- The thermal insulation layer is a critically important component of the PCB. It contains a ceramic polymer that has excellent viscoelastic properties, great thermal resistance, and defends the PCB against thermal and mechanical stresses.
- The circuit layer contains the copper foil mentioned previously. Generally, PCB manufacturers use copper foils ranging from one to 10 ounces.
The dielectric layer of insulation absorbs heat as current flows through the circuits. This is transferred it to the aluminum layer, where the heat is dispersed.
Every rigid and flexible printed circuit board (PCB) design is different, customized to meet the board’s purpose. The same is true for the PCB base material — fiberglass is a popular base material, but aluminum-based PCBs are also very effective in many applications. Aluminum PCBs consist of a metal-based, copper-clad laminate that delivers high performance, including excellent thermal conductivity and electrical insulation.
EastwinPCBA, located in China, is a leading provider of a wide range of printed circuit boards, including metal-base or metal core aluminum PCB’s for the automotive, aerospace, consumer products and medical industries. Here’s our take on the uses and benefits of aluminum-based PCBs.At EastwinPCBA, we hold ourselves to the exceptionally high standards your projects require.
Our Aluminum PCB Boards Example Below:
Benefits of Aluminum-Based Printed Circuit Boards
Metal core PCBs have a unique set of advantages compared to other base materials:
Less expensive. Aluminum is indigenous to a variety of climates, so it’s easy to mine and refine. That makes it significantly less expensive to mine and refine than other metals. By extension, the manufacturing costs associated with products using aluminum PCBs are also less expensive. Aluminum PCBs are also a less expensive alternative to heat sinks.
Friendly to the environment. Aluminum is a non-toxic, recyclable metal. From the manufacturer through to the end consumer, using aluminum in PBCs contributes to a healthy planet.
Better heat transfer. High temperatures are the cause of heavy damage to electronics. Aluminum conducts and transfers heat away from critical parts to minimize damage to the printed circuit board.
Very durable. Aluminum is stronger and more durable than base materials like ceramic and fiberglass. It is very sturdy, and reduces accidental breakages that can occur throughout the manufacturing process, and during handling and everyday use.
Lightweight: Considering its durability, aluminum is very lightweight. It adds strength and resilience to PCBs without adding additional weight.
We like our clients to be as informed as they can about the different types of products we offer at EastwinPCBA. Even though power converters and lighting projects are the largest users of metal-based PCB’S, there are many different uses. LED PCB manufacturers make up the majority of metal-based circuit boards, , it may benefit from the advantages of aluminum-core PCB material. Every Aluminum core PCB supplier should help their customers assess their needs for thermal control and insulation. Aluminum Core PCB’s are typically used with White or Black solder mask and for LED applications.
EastwinPCBA’s Aluminum PCB Applications
Here’s a more complete list of aluminum core PCB applications:
- Telecommunications, including high-frequency amplifiers and filtering appliances
- Power Supply, such as switching regulators and DC/AC converters
- Automotive, including electronic regulators, lighting and power controllers
- Computers, such as CPU boards, floppy drives and power devices
- Power Modules, including converters, solid-state relays, power rectifiers, and bridges
- Audio Devices, such as input and output amplifiers and power amplifiers
- Office Automation, such as electric motors and drives
- Consumer: Street lighting, Traffic control lighting, Interior building lights, Landscape lighting, and Camping gear.
- Medical: Operating room lighting, Surgical lighting tools, High power scanning technology, and Power converters.
EastwinPCBA delivers state-of-the-art printed circuit board technology, and is a leading manufacturer of aluminum core PCBs. We use cutting-edge technology to provide precision-manufactured PCBs that meet our customer’s rigorous specifications.
Should you have any question about Alunimum PCB design, manufacturing capabilities or your custom PCB project requires specifications which are not listed in the above table, feel free to reach us through directly email our engineers at firstname.lastname@example.org.